Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Kiyosaki's promise: Quit your job, let your money work for you

Don't work for money, let your money work for you. That is the essence of an interesting book by Robert T. Kiyosaki called "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". Employment in a company with a fixed work contract, Kiyosaki says, will lead most people into a hamster's wheel. Looking to earn money to support their growing expenses (children, house, car etc.), most people tend to work harder to receive more pay. They promptly hand over a larger share of their income to the State as they enter a higher tax category. In 2010 for example, an average German citizen employed in a private firm was working for the government until July 4th, after which he started producing value for himself. If he decided to work harder, it might push Tax Freedom Day even farther away.

Let your money work for you/adapted from
Flickr CC BY esbjorn2
Kiyosaki therefore proposes to a) cut spending and b) invest the money thus saved. His book can be criticized for many reasons, but the idea of "making money work for you" sounded appealing. I'm all in favor of investment with a moral backbone, so I scrapped speculation on oil, currencies, pension funds and food commodities in favor of stock options. I invested a fictional 7740 EUR into a portfolio of big stable European companies on May 7th (if I wanted to do that annually, it would require me 645 EUR per month in real life). Commission fees etc. of approx. 2% would put it down to 7585 EUR.

Now, the DAX which reunites 30 of the strongest enterprises in Europe's economic locomotive, Germany, grew by roughly 26% in 2009 and 17% in 2010 (my calculations). If I was lucky and my European company portfolio outdid the DAX by a third, I'd be between 23% and 35%. After a year of foregoing spending, I'd have gained 1745-2654 EUR (again subject to taxes).

Let your money work for you? I couldn't quit my job and live on 2654 EUR per year. Nor could I do so after ten or 20 years. Investment, I guess, cannot replace a work contract. It can give you a bit of spending money, but it won't make you rich unless you put your money into high-risk endeavors like startups or low-priced stocks.

Besides, for the last month all of my big European company stocks have only seen one direction: down.

No comments:

Post a Comment